This is an excellent recipe to sneak spinach to your family without lamenting about how it gave Popeye the Sailor man muscles, thus they should eat it too. I attest to the fact I do not care for cooked spinach either. This is an exceptional method to get our vegetables in without gagging down cooked spinach.
- 4 ounces of Ricotta cheese or Cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces of Trader Joe's Frozen Spinach, thawed (no pesticides)
- 2 cups of Low-Moisture, Part-Skim Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 Tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 Tablespoons of Italian Seasoning, or a mixture of Oregano, Thyme, and Basil
- 1 cup of bread crumbs or butter cracker (such as Ritz or Hi Ho) crumbs
- 1 egg
- 4-6 chicken breasts, flattened thin with a mallet
- 1 cup of Pomodoro sauce (Trader Joe's brand or homemade)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C. Mix together the Ricotta or Cream cheese, spinach, 1/2 the Mozzarella, 1/2 Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan, and 1/2 the Italian seasoning. Spread spinach mixture on top of the thin chicken breasts, roll them up, dip them in the egg and a mixture of 1/2 the Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan, 1/2 Italian seasoning, and bread or cracker crumbs. Place on a lightly greased rimmed cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. Top with Pomodoro sauce and a sprinkling of Mozzarella and put under broiler for a few minutes until golden.
~Photo above featuring plate by Corelle's Vive Line: Nouveau~